Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Wood Between the Worlds.

{source}
For those who have never read the Chronicles of Narnia, or specifically The Magicians Nephew, this is the wood between the worlds. In the books, it is a wood (obviously) with small pools, each leading to a different world. The wood is an intersection of all the worlds, but at the same time hardly a place in itself. It is transitory. A resting place. That's where I feel like I am right now: The "wood" between the worlds of childhood and adulthood. I'd hardly say that I'm an adult (I'm far too dependent for that), but nor am I a child anymore. I guess that's what the term "teenager" is for, but I don't feel that that's quite adequate either. At times I feel pulled to be part of one world or the other, but neither is quite right. I don't feel the same connection with my younger cousins, and I find adult conversation to be frightfully boring at times. (The economy? Politics? Blech.) In this place, I have so many responsibilities and expectations. Sometimes I'm treated like a child, and others I'm expected to act like an adult. At times it's frustrating.
I also recognize the importance of this time period. Who I am now will greatly influence who I will be as an adult. I know they say that who you are is almost completely developed by the age of 18 or 20. While I don't believe this completely, I know that many of my habits and morals right now will carry over into adulthood. At the age of 18, teenagers are expected to choose the career path that they will follow for the rest of their lives! If that's not daunting, I don't know what is. This "wood between the worlds" is at times exciting, frustrating and intimidating, but it's where I am right now and I aim to make the best of it.
♥♥Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Ah! The Wood Between the Worlds! Such a place of peace, sitting on the brink of so many decisions! Turning 18 isn't easy as the world expects you to immediately transform into an adult, I know. Part of you wants to move forward and see what the Lord has in store for you, and another part wants to linger in the childish life that you've known. But God is in control, He holds your life and future in the palm of His hands, and I know that as long as I trust in Him in and for everything, He will direct my steps. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! It truly makes my day.