Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Quoted.

I love quotes, whether they're from books, songs, or something someone said. I love the way someone can string words together in a certain order and it's somehow magical, so much so that people record it and remember it long after the person who said it is dead. Quotes are ways for people to live on. Here are a few... okay, a lot, of my favorites.
{source}
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream." - Van Gogh

"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!" - Dr. Seuss, more than just little kids books. He's practically a genius. I love all of his quotes. This is just one of my favorites.

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon." - anonymous

"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled: this could change your life." - Helen Exley.

"I have hated the words and I have loved them and I hope I have made them right." - Markus Zusak in The Book Thief

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." - Stephen Chbosky in The Perks of Being a Wallflower

 I have just recently read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, so there are a lot of quotes floating around in my head from that one:

"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."

"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal."    I have felt both ways about certain books at one time or another.

“The marks humans leave are too often scars.”

“The risen sun too bright in her losing eyes.”  I must admit, I'm a little crazy about that one.

There is also a wealth of quotes in The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini:

This is perhaps my favorite, though more a conversation than a quote:
"'Really? You'd do that? ... Eat dirt if I told you to?' 'If you asked, I would,' he finally said, looking right at me. I dropped my eyes. To this day, I find it hard to gaze directly at people who mean every word they say.
   'But I wonder,' he added, 'Would you ever ask me to do such a thing, Amir Agha?' ... I wished I hadn't started this conversation. I forced a smile. 'Don't be stupid, Hassan, you know I wouldn't.'
   Hassan returned the smile. Except his didn't look forced. 'I know,' he said. And that's the thing about people who mean every thing they say. They think everyone else does, too."

"For you, a thousand times over." Hassan to Amir

"There is only one sin. and that is theft. When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness.”

"Children are not coloring books. You don't get to fill them in with your favorite colors."

“I'm so afraid. Because I'm so profoundly happy. Happiness like this is frightening... They only let you be this happy if they're preparing to take something from you."

“Not a word passes between us, not because we have nothing to say, but because we don't have to say anything”


I could read and write about quotes forever. Since you most likely do not have the same desire, I'll stop myself for now. Maybe I'll be able to restrain myself to something like one quote per post. We'll see how that goes.
♥♥ Kristin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It truly makes my day.