Saturday, June 2, 2012

It's Official.

Everyone has that one moment that, to them, signals that it's finally summer. Maybe it's tasting the first fresh strawberries from the local farmer's market. Maybe it's the first day of summer vacation. Maybe it's the first day that you can wear shorts and leave the sweatshirt in the closet. Maybe it's even June 21, the beginning of summer according to the calendar. Tonight, I realized mine. That one thing that makes me say, "It's official. Summer's here." I was driving home from my grandma's birthday party along this narrow, windy country road that I've fallen in love with, and I saw it. The first faint glimmer that I might have imagined, followed by another and another. The lightning bugs were out, blinking signals to one another through the summer-scented darkness. Some of my happiest summer memories revolve around running barefoot through the grass and cupping one of those magical glowing insects in my palms. Some nights I caught a few in a jar and used their soft glow as a nightlight. I'll admit, some summer evenings I still wander outside for a few moments, just long enough to catch one lightning bug and let it rest on my hand watching the soft glow reflect on my palm and letting my childhood wash over me.
{source}
What moment means summer to you?
♥♥ Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! It truly makes my day.